Sr. Project Manager
The client Senior Project Manager plays an integral role in driving business growth and improving profitability by providing exceptional project management. Focuses on delighting the customer by becoming the expert in business processes to manage multiple projects in support of business and operational initiatives as assigned. The Project Manager leads projects by creating scope documents based on approved charters, developing project plans (work breakdown structures), monitoring project status, and identifying dependencies, risks and issues that impact quality, timelines, and cost. This individual works closely with the team and internal stakeholders to communicate critical path items and work toward resolving challenges early to keep programs on schedule and team members accountable thus ensuring success of the project. Tracks key milestones and adjust project plans, budget requests and/or resources to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, adhere to high quality standards and meet customer expectations. Utilizes analytical and communication skills as well as understanding of the business to document, summarize, and communicate status updates of assigned projects.
Senior Project Managers are assigned to projects with multiple interdependencies and/or of moderate-to-high complexity, scope, risk and impact to the business. Assist other team members by reviewing work, providing training and technical guidance. Apply and share analytical, technical and communication skills as well as deep, broad understanding of the business to continuously improve team effectiveness. Influence and aid functional business partners to drive operational goals and financial results.
The essential functions listed represent the major duties of this role, additional duties may be assigned.
- Manage projects with internal and external dependencies, moderate scope, risk of moderate severity & impact, integration within functional capabilities, moderate cost and typically longer duration within more than one team of resources.
- Understand the goals and objectives of assigned projects, alignment with stakeholder organization business strategy, and document scope with high level requirements. 5%
- Understand the need for Business Case/ROI and ensure its completion. 5%
- Responsible for developing, reviewing, validating and approving multiple project plans which includes translating scope and user requirements to determine appropriate project milestones, deliverables, tasks and subtasks needed to document the detailed project plan (work breakdown structure) associated with the following:
2. Budget/Financial Management
3. Dependency Management
4. Conflict Resolution
5. Risk Management
6. Quality Management
7. Change Management
8. Issue Management 10%
- Administers and manages the project team providing functional and technical team leadership
- Coordinates activities across the project team to assure effective design, development and implementation.
- Reviews detailed project plans and tracking financial information.
- Assigns the extended team tasks and deadlines, holds members accountable and assists with access to tools and resources
- Leads project meetings.
- Manages all documentation related to the project as well as internal communications.
- Advises project team, customers and staff on tactical solutions to deal with barriers within a project.
- Develops and maintains relationships with stakeholders and team members in order to achieve mutual goals.
- Develops and maintains cross functional business partner relationships to develop, implement and support effective operational readiness and go to market plans. 10%
- Manages the project delivery activities in accordance with Project Management Methodologies/EPMO
- Accountable for project delivery including meeting time, budget and quality standards and customer expectations.
- Coordinates with the technical team members on infrastructure and development issues
- Resolves technical, planning and coordination issues
- Identify & resolve discrepancies in planned costs versus actual cost and overall financial management for assigned projects.
- Works with the functional team members to define specific user test cases and test plans.
- Participates in user and usability testing to facilitate optimal end user experience that reduces admin costs.
- Supports implementation activities to ensure goals are achieved.
- Accountable for active facilitation of project issue resolution, change requests, risk and dependency management.
- Plans, develops and executes plans to transition to functional governance at the appropriate time in the project life-cycle. 35%
- Communicate project status to project team, stakeholders’ leadership and Program Managers associated with other projects.
- Closely tracking timelines and communicating to leadership any potential slippages.
- Providing status reports to leadership on time and with high quality and completeness.
- Identifying risks to timelines, quality, or cost and escalating to leadership as appropriate.
- Maintaining issue logs and ensuring all issues identified are resolved. 20%
- May mentor Project Managers. 5%
- Participates in change initiatives including tasks and initiatives outside of specific job duties such as BRM workgroups. 5%
- Cross Functional Coordination/Collaboration
- Supports the detail design and development of complex tools, systems, processes, programs, etc. that directly impact client or operational decisions and objectives.
- Leads or supports major development initiatives targeted at achieving client or operational goals and objectives, including Detailed Design, Build and Launch of new products/ capabilities.
- Develop and maintain cross functional business partner relationships to develop, implement and support effective operational readiness and go to market plans. 5%
- 5+ years related work experience or equivalent combination of transferable experience and education Project Manager; Experience in business analysis, or team management with a minimum of 3 years’ experience leading projects
- No supervisory/management experience required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- PMP - Project Mgmt Professional 1 Year
- Thorough understanding of the concepts, theories and processes of the Project Management Methodology (PMM) and able to coach others in its use.
- Applied management practices to include budget, performance management, planning and coaching.
- Advanced proficiency in strategic planning, risk management and/or change management.
- Excellent problem solver with high critical thinking skills to evaluate alternatives and present solutions that are consistent with business objectives and strategy.
- Experience setting clear, actionable objectives and tactical plans for result attainment.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of labor, cost management and project tracking and management tools such as MS Project.
- Demonstrated ability to professionally interface with individuals at various levels of the organization, including Directors and Vice Presidents.
- Thorough understanding of business processes, functions and architectures.
- Proven ability to build relationships within the business area, across the organization, and external to GWC.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, address and resolve complex business issues.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills, persuading and / or influencing others to change their opinion and / or direction when it is in the best interest of meeting goals.
- Proven organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills to include the ability to explain complex and technical concepts in a clear and concise manner to audiences with diverse knowledge base.
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly and articulately.
- Ability to document meeting minutes, action items from project status meetings.
- Ability to Lead/Facilitate Core team or Steering meetings to obtain schedule, issues, risk , and dependency updates.
- Ability to manage tasks independently and take ownership of responsibilities.
- Excellent PC skills, specifically utilizing the MS Office Suite Products (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to learn from mistakes and apply constructive feedback.
- Excellent coaching skills.
- Experience with Internet and / or web development processes and protocol.
- Experience with IT functions.
- Experience using Agile methodology.
- Agile Scrum Master experience
- Yellow belt on Lean Six Sigma principles
- Self Essential Competencies
- Places the Customer First
- Acts with Integrity and Authenticity
- Balances Stakeholders
- Builds Collaborative Relationships
- Builds Effective Teams
- Communicates Effectively
- Demonstrates Flexibility and Supports Change
- Demonstrates Resilience
- Directs Work
- Displays Courage
- Drives Results
- Drives Vision and Purpose
- Ensures Accountability
- Manages Complexity
- Manages Conflict
- Organizational Savvy
- Takes Initiative
- Understands the Business
- Values Differences